Apple hacker group called Greenpois0n, which will jailbreak almost all iOS 5.1.1 gadgets– iPhones, iPods, and iPads untethered recently released absinthe 2.0. The release came at the end of the Hack in the Box 2012 conference held at Amsterdam. An untethered jailbreak will mean that the jailbreak will be sustained even if the device is switched off. The jailbreak software is available for Windows XP and 7, Linux and Apple OS X Leopard and above.
Make sure that your iOS is updated before attempting the jailbreaking because Absinthe 2.0 works only for iOS 5.1.1. Some jailbreaking problem has been reported for iPad 2, 4 that is the updated second-generation iPad. Absinthe 2.0.x has been tested for all iOS gadgets and works with even iPad 3 and iPhone 4S, but AppleTV 3 has missed the bus.
Pros and Cons of Jailbreaking
Jailbreaking is a way to remove the manufacturer restrictions built into gadgets like smartphones that restrict the users in some specific way. After jailbreaking, you will be able to do everything that you cannot before that. You can do the following with jailbreak software like the Absinthe for iPhones:
• Install third party apps as in the case of iPhones, iPads and iPods.
• Remove carrier restrictions and use any SIM.
• Remove manufacturer-preloaded apps and personalize the phone.
• Installing a higher version of the OS, this is restricted.
Words for Caution
If you have decided to jailbreak your phone, look into some of these factors too before you do that:
• Warranty will be void if you jailbreak your device.
• Improper jailbreaking can make the device unstable.
• The performance of the device is usually found to be affected- though computing speeds may increase, battery overheating is an issue.
• Periodic updates to jailbreaking software are required to help it keep working.
Category: Apple Gadgets