The new GoPro Hero comes with fabulous HD wide-angle video capture and most importantly an interface that it easier to understand unlike those of previous generations. However, for experienced and active users the Hero’s interface cannot be much of an obstacle. Nevertheless, such things are trivial when the GoPro HD Hero 2 is the best sports camera out there with outstanding imaging quality, rugged design, and versatile features for a professional.
The main features of the GoPro HD Hero 2 are:
• Sensor- 1/2.5 inch CMOS sensor
• Resolution- 11 MP
• Lens- F/2.8 wide angle
• Video capture- 1080p HD, wind noise reduction
• Battery- Li-ion 1100 mAh, 2.5 hours backup at 720p video
• Ruggedness- shockproof, waterproof, up to 197ft deeply in water.
The Hero 2 comes with a composite video/audio out, HDMI out, 3.5mm microphone out, USB 2.0 port and SD card slot. The accessories included with the camera as mounting gadgets and straps offers many options.
• Among the best HD sports and action camera
• Wide angle HD video recording at 1080p max
• It has extremely versatile mounting options
• One of the best bargains at $299.99
• Not exactly durable because it is heavy
• Interface needs some polishing
• Not an ideal choice for novice photographers
• No GPS tagging
• No LCD- only a status LCD is included
Overall, the UI shows a marked improvement but still needs to be easier on the user. Images in low light conditions have improved wonderfully. For photographers who change many of their settings every time, the GoPro HD Hero 2 is an excellent choice. Sadly, you will not be able to fiddle with GPS metadata, but the HD camera is extremely ruggedly designed against shock, water and survives up to 197ft deeply in water- a true action sports HD cam!